It’s time to rise to the challenge and help those in need. Pull out your apron and pre-heat that oven because you’re in for a treat with this delicious recipe. Whether you’re looking to raise money for a local charity or increase the numbers on a team sponsorship form, for your next office bake sale, you can replace your colleagues’ morning coffee with a mocha-infused muffin.
Even if baking isn’t one of your hobbies already, Great British Bake Off is just around the corner, so prepare to feel inspired and find a new favourite pastime. With this recipe, you’ll become an instant success and may even be crowned the office star-baker. We might even see you featuring on the follow-up season.
Although your office is moving in the right direction and raising money for those less fortunate, there are ways that you can go the extra mile. You probably haven’t considered it, but opting for something as simple as fair trade products when shopping for ingredients will be a game changer…
Not only will your muffins taste just as scrumptious (if not more), you’ll benefit from knowing that the ingredients you’re buying are helping growers and producers elsewhere in the world. With over 4,500 Fairtrade products currently on the market, all you need to do is look for the iconic trademark and shop more consciously.
As it stands, there are over 1.66 million growers, producers and artisans spread across more than 37 countries who are involved with the initiative. Fair trade is about better prices, decent working conditions, local sustainability, and fair terms of trade for those in the developing world.
Without further adjure, here is the low-down on how to master mocha crumb muffins. We’ve even recommended some of the best products on the market!
Ingredients (Makes 12):
Mocha crumb toppings:
175g Traidcraft golden caster sugar
175g Traidcraft light brown sugar
1 tbsp Divine cocoa powder
1 tbsp Traidcraft Medium Roast Ground Coffee
110g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
75g unsalted butter, melted
150g plain flour
150g Traidcraft light brown sugar
2 tbsp Divine cocoa powder
1½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp Traidcraft Medium Roast Ground Coffee
4 Divine Cappuccino Chocolate bars (35g each), chopped into 1cm pieces
100g Greek yogurt
100ml vegetable oil
3 large free-range eggs
1 tsp Fairtrade vanilla extract
A dusting of Fairtrade icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or Gas Mark 4.
- Make the crumb topping. In a large bowl, combine the caster sugar and the light brown sugar with the cocoa powder, ground coffee, flour and salt. Add in the melted butter and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix. The mixture should come together in large clumps. Set aside.
- To make the muffins, in a separate bowl, mix the flour, light brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and ground coffee.
- Break up the Divine Cappuccino Chocolate bars and add them to this mixture.
- Add the yogurt, oil, eggs and vanilla extract and mix until just combined.
- Spoon out the muffin batter into 12 muffin cases about halfway to the top.
- Press the set-aside crumb topping into the top of the muffin batter to ensure it stays put when it is baked. Combined, the batter and the topping should reach ¾ of the way to the top of the muffin case.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool before removing from the tin.
- Dust with icing sugar before serving.
- Muffins should be kept in an airtight container for up to 5 days at room temperature.
Your mocha crumb muffins will receive glowing reviews, and you could even become your office’s resident baker — accept the challenge and cook up a tasty treat using ethically sourced, fair trade products!